Recent Posts

1.20.2012

Antique Quilts

Recently my boyfriend's mother sent me a couple bags of fabrics from her attic. I wasn't sure what to expect, so when I opened the bags and found a bunch of feed sacks and antique quilt tops I was really surprised. I haven't decided what I want to do with the quilt tops and blocks yet, but I figured the first step was to photograph them and then pack them away somewhere safer than the plastic bags I got them in.



I am torn between trying to complete the quilts and just preserving them as they are. I have no way of knowing what the original quilter's intentions were for her quilts, so I am hesitant to "ruin" them. On the other hand, I think that they will both hold up better if sandwiched and quilted and future generations will get more enjoyment from them if they're usable quilts.

Without further ado, here they are. Unfortunately I didn't get a full-length shot of the first quilt before I packed it away, but the detail shots give a decent idea of the whole.

Fan Quilt Detail #1

Fan Quilt Detail #2

Fan Quilt Detail #3
The third shot shows some discoloration in the white portions of the fans. I'm not sure what caused the discoloration or how to clean it up, but it appears in several spots so I would need to handle it if I wanted to complete the quilt.

Hand-pieced Fans

Close-up of Extra Fans

Newspaper Template
I'm not sure you can see the date in that photograph, but the newspaper clipping is from 1935!

Full Shot of Quilt #2

Detail Shot #1

Detail Shot #2
 You can see that one end of the quilt is unfinished.

Detail Shot #3
 And some of the blocks have been pieced.

Extra Blocks - Red/Pink

Extra Blocks - Green

Extra Blocks - Blue
There are about 75 additional blocks included, but many of them are duplicates. Also, there are about 10 blocks in the quilt top which would need to be removed and replaced. Unlike the fan quilt where the damage seems to only be discoloration, some of the blocks on this quilt appear to have either deteriorated or been eaten by bugs.
16 9-patch Hourglass Blocks
Also included in the bags were 16 9-patch hourglass blocks. They measure about 10 inches square, so while they could be sewn together - they would not make a full-sized quilt.

Finally there were a large number of vintage fabrics and a couple patterns. The fabrics seemed to range in era from the 40s up through the 60s and possibly 70s.

This pattern has been completely cut out and well-used.

Some of the pieces for the pattern appear to be missing.

I love this fabric, but there isn't much of it.

There seem to be several yards of this print, which I think would make a  fun skirt.

1 comments:

JL Fakowski said...

Wow! You are so lucky. Have fun with it and don't rush your decisions.

Post a Comment