Recent Posts

12.27.2011

Christmas Presents

I got several sewing related presents this year for Christmas.

In the Black Friday sale from JoAnn fabrics I bought myself an Accuquilt Go! fabric cutter. (I know that one is supposed to buy presents for others, but I had been eyeing them and couldn't pass up the deal.) The cutter, which I love, came with a starter die that cuts a small square, half square triangles to make a small square, and a large square. I actually used that die to cut the blocks for one of my Christmas table runners.



For Christmas I received two more dies from my Grandmother. One that cuts three different sized hexagons and one which cuts equilateral triangles. I don't have any specific plans for them yet. I love hexagon quilts and honestly have held off working on one because I was intimidated by the cutting. Having the fabric cutter to do the work for me should erase that barrier! Also, the two dies say they work together, which I may need to take advantage of.

Equilateral Triangles
Hexagons


I also asked for and received the Colette Sewing Handbook, which I am very excited about! You can look at the book description here. I am particularly excited to work through the directions on altering patterns - as I really have not been able to get the hang of it. I haven't decided yet whether I will work though the book like a textbook - mastering each technique and pattern before I move on - or skip to the pattern that I most want to work on and then backtrack as I need to work on certain skills.



Finally, I also received Kim of True Up's book, Field Guide to Fabric Design. It is amazing! Not only is it a great resource on designing and creating custom fabric, but it is full of gorgeous pictures of modern and vintage fabric. Even if I wasn't interested in the details of fabric design, I might have bought this book for the pictures alone.


0 comments:

Post a Comment