Recent Posts


Catching Up - October 2011

October started out with a bang as I opened up shop and tried to sell my wares to an unsuspecting public.

Art in the Park was a good experience, but I won't say it was a lot of fun. It took three hours to drive all my stuff down on Friday morning and then it was rainy and windy while I put up my tent and arranged all my goods.

I wasn't sure what to do for a set up, but ended up with a table covered in a yellow tablecloth,

a tiny table with a pink tablecloth, a beautiful borrowed quilt rack,

And two chairs I bought from Goodwill for $10 a piece and then spray painted yellow and pink.

Art in the Park was Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this year. In the past it has been a Saturday and Sunday only affair. Friday was a bit of a dead day this year, so I hope they shorten it again next year.

The fair started out very slow and I was very discouraged, but by the end I had sold most of the stuff I brought. If I were to do it again I would change around my stock, but I'm not convinced I will do it again. I think it was nice to challenge myself to do it for a lot of reasons, but it wasn't an experience I enjoyed overall.

My boyfriend's daughter joined us for a while on Sunday afternoon, which was a nice way to end the long weekend. We drank root beer and talked about high school, which she started this year.

When I got back from Art in the Park the last thing I wanted to do was sew, so I didn't. But there was one more bee block to be done, so I eventually cleaned up the sewing room and got back to work. The only directions this month were stars on a white or cream background, so I dug out some brightly colored scraps (I have a lot of those right now!) and got cutting.

Based on a couple pictures on flickr I liked of tiny stars I cut several 1 1/2 inch squares and made wonky stars in red, orange, yellow, green, turquoise, blue, and purple.

Of course, once the stars were made, I had to figure out how this made a block. I didn't want to send a bunch of tiny 3 inch blocks, so I played around with layouts both with the physical blocks and then also on some graph paper.

I settled on a sort of amorphous blob of stars surrounded by neutral fabric.

I like this block a lot, so I hope it fits in with the rest of the group!


Post a Comment